The Intermediate School builds upon strategies taught in the Primary School classes with an emphasis on self-advocacy and executive skills. Our teaching faculty utilizes the most recent research about language-based learning disabilities to create an optimal environment for every student. Each child receives the assistance they need to develop intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically.
An emphasis on language skills and critical thinking prepares students with learning disabilities to be successful in communication and decision making. Assistive technology and hands-on experiences are used daily to encourage students to work more independently and become self-directed learners.
Students receive developmentally appropriate instruction in each subject to prepare them for middle school classrooms. Each student’s progress is measured individually through reading evaluations, math assessments and teacher observation as well as projects, tests, illustrations, presentations and reports.
Areas of Study:
- Reading programs include Project Read Phonology, Story Form and Report Form, RAVE-O, and Lindamood-Bell Visualizing and Verbalizing. Teachers work in small group and individual instruction to enhance language and comprehension skills.
- Math instruction uses Saxon Math which emphasizes structured, cumulative study of mathematical thinking taught in small increments.
- Writing programs, including Just Write and Write on Track, help children with learning differences to understand the writing process. Students learn to brainstorm and organize by actively writing in journals, memory books and reading logs.
- Technology enables students to strengthen their skills through independent work. At this level, children learn to use Microsoft Word, Microsoft Power Point, Inspiration, iPads, Laptops, iPods, Learning Ally, Bookshare and Smartboards.
- Science and Social Studies learning builds on the basic concepts learned in the Primary School. Each child works in collaboration with their teachers to apply the learning strategies that work best for them to gain knowledge about history, geology, health and basic scientific concepts.