Technology is an integral part of the education program at The Hillside School. Every student has daily interaction with a variety of devices and software programs to assist in learning and to develop the skills they will need for successful futures in our increasingly digital world.
Parents are also educated on how to use the technology so that they can assist their children.
- Three desktop computers in each classroom for research, reinforcement of skills, project-oriented tasks and independent work.
- State-of-the-art computer lab for individual use and class instruction.
- Laptops, iPads and iPods available for classroom use.
- Neo portable keyboards for writing assignments and project planning.
- Franklin Spellers for independent work to help with spelling and definitions.
- Livescribe Smartpen records everything a student writes and hears. It then can be uploaded to a computer or you can tap anywhere on your notes to replay the audio from that moment in time.
- Inspiration 9 and Kidspiration 3 graphic organizing programs to plan writing or reports.
- Read: OutLoud 6 and Read&Write 5 Gold (Mac) Read& Write 11 Gold (Windows) reading software for visual or audio presentation of books, websites or PDF files.
- Co:Writer and Read&Write 5 Gold (Mac) Read& Write 11 Gold (Windows) writing software to help with composition and spelling.
- Type to Learn 4 to develop typing skills and Dragon Naturally Speaking for dictation.
- Pixie 4 for digital story creation.
Students also have access to digitally recorded textbooks, interactive whiteboards, informational websites and online research tools and learning resources. Additional technology resources are integrated into all reading and content areas.
As part of The Hillside School’s commitment to a complete education, our students take classes in Internet safety, how to choose authoritative websites and awareness about cyberbullying.
Click here to learn more about our Technology Integration Specialist.