We know that schools with strong library programs help students become more successful learners. The Hillside School library is a place where the joy of reading for a reluctant reader is discovered and fostered. Hillside’s library classes also support the writing process by teaching students to track plots and analyze themes in books and movies through the steps used in our EmPOWERTM writing method.
Additionally, our library media specialist works closely with teachers to integrate the library with the classroom content. For example, when students have book reports, our librarian helps them choose books that are appropriate for their reading level and genre. When they are studying more complex units, our specialist works to create supplemental, hands-on projects to support each classroom teacher.
Library classes are held weekly by our library media specialist.
Weekly class lessons focus on
- in-library and online research techniques
- organization of a library and the Dewey Decimal System
- using the EmPOWERTM method for reading comprehension and writing
- Destiny library management system
- reading aloud to enhance public speaking skills