Technology is an integral part of the education program at The Hillside School. Every student has daily interaction with a variety of devices and software programs to assist in learning and to develop the skills they will need for successful futures in our increasingly digital world.
Resources are available for parents on how to use the technology so that they can assist their children.
- Desktop computers in each K-5 classroom, computer carts with Macbooks for the K-5 wing, and one-to-one laptops in middle school
- Computer lab for individual use and class instruction
- Projection systems/smart projection systems are used in instructional classrooms
- iPads and iPods are available for classroom use
- Robots and websites are used to allow students to develop their skills in programming, organization, logical thinking, resiliency, and extension of the curriculum
- Digital cameras, video cameras, and video production equipment and software are available for class use
- Graphic organizing programs are used to plan writing or reports
- Reading software for visual or audio presentation of books, websites, or PDF files
- Writing software programs that help with composition and spelling
- Program that can individualize the reading level of PDF files, books, websites, texts and read Bookshare books out loud
- Type to Learn is used to develop typing skills
- Speech to text
- Programs and websites for voice recording, digital story and poster creation
- Students are introduced to photography, videography, podcasting, and more
Students also have access to digitally recorded textbooks, interactive whiteboards, informational websites and online research tools and learning resources. Additional technology resources are integrated into all reading and content areas.
As part of The Hillside School’s commitment to a complete education, our students take classes in Internet safety, how to choose authoritative websites and awareness about cyberbullying.